Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Lovely Revival

American Apparel is on the upswing.

Though the company faces imminent bankruptcy, their clothes are looking better than they have in quite some time.

When I experienced love at first sight with this rosette tunic--and was shocked when I found out who makes it--I realized American Apparel is doing something different for the first time in a long time, something I am quite pleased about. Much like the sobering effect that the Great Depression had on the hedonistic attitude of contemporary American culture, American Apparel's bankruptcy has had the same affect on the company--and that's a good thing. American Appparel's clothing as of late has had more of a demure nature than what the brand usually offers.

I've been a fan of American Apparel since they first appeared on my radar; like the majority of AA devotees, I have the zip-up fleece hoodie, the countless deep v-necks, and I am also a fan of their barely-there bras, just for the basics. But, as the items I've just listed suggest, American Apparel often walks a fine line between minimal-chic and just plain boring. Much of their "style" as a brand has been based on their provocative, nearly-naked Terry Richardson ad campaigns and their indie/hipster appeal. While I do enjoy watching the brand push the limits with their sexy ads, and donning some oversized glasses to go with my indie-prep cardigan, American Apparel has gotten a little too predictable.

Until now. The brand is now offering tons of new, on-trend items, including ladylike silhouettes, lace everything, and collegiate-looking plaids and stripes just right for fall.






When I finally got around to visiting an American Apparel store last night, I was overwhelmed with the pretty, classic, and just downright stylish things in the store. 

Of course, American Apparel will never abandon its racy roots. And why would they? It's what put them on the map as a unique retailer. But this season, they're offering some amazing additions to their usual repertoire. 

Kudos to you, AmerAppar.

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading this blog for a while, and I'm not going to lie, you kick serious ass.

    I love the way you give me just enough background to understand the context of the clothes you're presenting, and the way that you show me clothes you like but don't force them on me.

    You show me enough to pique my attention, and get me to want to dig deeper into what I can find.

    You also give tiny little outfit hints, sprinkled into your posts, that are like a little sketch. Just enough for a girl to adapt or expand on.

    Awesome. If I were a woman, this blog would influence me.

    Keep writing.

    Love,

    Alex

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Can't wait to read! xx Katherine