Monday, January 17, 2011

Red Carpet Queens: Golden Globes Edition

I usually find awards show fashion to be, well, boring. Of course, there are always beautiful dresses and elegant tuxes. But each year, I always find myself thinking that so-and-so's dress reminds me of one a few years back.

The Golden Globes last night was different. I was fully entertained by the variety of dresses that walked the red carpet. Even if I didn't love every single dress, I found myself finding things I liked and appreciated about many of them. 

And then there were the standouts, the dresses that made my jaw drop, those that I have not been able to get out of my head since.
Anne Hathaway in Armani Prive
Love (lust, obsession) at first sight. My personal favorite from last night. I thought it was an impeccable, though not surprising, styling decision by Rachel Zoe. Anne's Golden Globes dress from last year (also Armani Prive) is one of my favorite red carpet dresses of all time, and this daring gown just got added to that list.

Emma Stone in Calvin Klein
I was so pleasantly surprised by the originality of this crewneck dress. I love the simplicity of it and the peachy color. The one thing that could have improved this look? Emma's previously fiery red hair. 

January Jones in Versace
It was no surprise that January wore Versace, as she's the current face of the fashion house. But this dress was a risk; she's been put on as many Worst Dressed lists as she has Best Dressed. I personally think she looks stunning. Her demure, Veronica Lake-esque hair perfectly balances out the sexiness of the cleavage and cutouts, and her lip color was cleverly matched to the dress for a monochromatically chic aesthetic. The tassled column skirt gives the look an elegant, fun, flapper-ish feeling. On anyone else, I may not have loved this look, but January Jones's classic features are the perfect match for this unabashedly sexy dress.

Leighton Meester in Burberry Prorsum
This dress is definitely tough to pull off, but I think Leighton does so quite gracefully. I loved the romance of this dress, with its ethereal texture, ruched sleeves, and cinched waist. Sure, it may not be "red carpet" material, but that's my favorite part about the dress. And that little gold bag with the tassle? Too amazing for words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Can't wait to read! xx Katherine